St Mary’s Church Stewartstown

st marys churchSt. Mary’s Church, Stewartstown

The current church of St. Mary in Stewartstown was opened in 1845 but was not the first church on the site. In 1797 Fr. James Devlin of Clonoe built a thatched church on the site of an old quarry. That church was destroyed in 1829 but was repaired and then replaced by the present building.